Wednesday, January 4, 2012

At the Blast of the Trumpet he says, 'Aha!'

In the book of Job, God answers Job's desperate questions about the cause for his calamity. Job, a righteous man was shaken down so to speak. His children, material wealth, status and physical health were taken away.  God answers him with questions that bring perspective and understanding to Job's situations. My favorite questions from God are found in Job chapter 38-41.  It was on Dec 2, 2011, three days before my mammogram that the scripture lept off the page to me. Sort of like God put a highlighter over the words as if I had fallen in love with the words that were stringed together.Love at first sight you might say, like I had already known them my whole life. I owned them, they were mine. They had deep penetrating meaning to my heart and soul.... and I didn't yet know why.

Have you given the horse strength?
Have you clothed his neck with thunder?
Can you frighten him like a locust?
His majestic snorting strikes terror.
He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength;
He gallops into the clash of arms.
He mocks at fear, and is not frightened:
Nor does he turn back from the sword.
The quiver rattles against him,
The glittering spear and javelin.
He devours the distance with fierceness and rage;
Nor does he come to a halt because the trumpet has sounded.
At the blast of  the trumpet he says, 'Aha!'
He smells the battle from afar,
The thunder of captains and shouting.
Job 39:19-25  NKJV

Have you every seen the power and the strength of a horse? I don't ride horses but I have always been awed by their majestic nature. Did you know a horse will run until it's death? What vigor, what determination! At  the blast of a trumpet he says, Aha!' God is asking Job if he has considered who created this magnificent animal?

The next day, December 3th 2011, I read a message of hope and restoration for God's people from the prophet Ezekiel chapter 33:4. Get a load of this...
"...then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet ad does not take warning, if the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be on his own head.

Okay, the Lord and I have been walking together long enough that I know some things up! He had gone before me just as he promised he would. He prepared me to hear, it's Cancer. We had joined a small group  to study the book of Job in Sept. We thought it would be a wonderful study for us because we had been crushed by the failure of the housing market. Realtors in Vegas, what can I say?
I watched a lifetime of hard work and material wealth slip through my fingers in just a few years. I had just sent  two of my three daughters out of state and the third was preparing for her move too. That's pretty close to the story of Job. So, needing encouragement and hope we joined in. Little did I know that was just the beginning.

When I heard the trumpet, I was getting a second chance to read the pathology report, to ask questions and to make life saving decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment